Guilford Economic Development Board
January 21, 2010 6:30 pm
In attendance: Robert McReavy, Sheila Thompson, Patti Davis, and Tom Goulette
1. Lilac and Chickadee Capital of Maine
a. Lilac Fundraiser – Carrie will prepare the announcement press release, forms etc for the 2010 lilac fundraiser
b. Flags – Initial estimates are approx $175 per flag & pole set. We have 7 poles. Patti is going to check alternate sources for price comparison and to determine what the art charge or set up charge would be.
c. Other ways to leverage the designation
2. Developing our Community Brand – Carrie will put a plan in writing that can be reviewed at our next meeting
3. Letter of Intent for 2010 LMI Housing Grant Application. Tom will officially request that Ron Harriman submit our letter of intent and ask that Ron send us the timeline for gathering necessary supporting documentation.
4. River Festival 2010 – Carrie advises the group that the festival is now a town event and resides under the economic development board. Patti confirms that she will organize the Lilac Pageant again this year and that Davis Brothers will sponsor the event. Checks for participants will be made out to “River Festival”. There is discussion regarding the $2,000 donation that Kiwanis made to the festival. It was suggested that a permanent bandstand might be a good investment. It is agreed that Sheila will contact Maine Community Foundation for information regarding possible grants to help fund the bandstand.
5. MCHP web-site project update – Carrie advises the group that the web-site is in the beginning stages of being built and once complete it will be marketed as part of our larger community brand. There will be a launch event in early summer.
6. Community Branding Session October 23rd of the Maine Development Foundations’ Main Street Maine Series - Joni attended this session and was to report and share information and ideas but was not at the meeting so we’ll ask her to speak at our next meeting.
7. Bell Project Update – It is determined that once the bell restoration is complete the bell will be placed in the green space on Elm Street.
8. Professional Services Update – Tom will consult with Ron Harriman as to possible programs to help us determine what professional services might be viable in Guilford.
9. Sheep Tower Restoration Update– Tom contacted True Textiles to possibly gain access to the sheep tower to perform any maintenance and restoration necessary to avoid having the tower fall into disrepair. True Textiles denied any access citing liability issues.
10. Lighting on Bridge Update- Tom contacted DOT and will follow up with them
11. Other Possible Grant Ideas – To leverage the approx $12,000 in our skate park fund and get the rink in place. A new location idea is at King Cummings Park. Tom is investigating if the gazebo can be relocated and the rink put in its place. The gazebo would be moved to adjacent the rink.
12. New Business – Tom will determine if electricity can be gained from our new light poles to be able to light the poles, or wreaths, or trees at Christmas.
Next meeting – we’ll wait to hear from Sheila about inviting Maine Community Foundation to speak to our group about possible grants. We’ll schedule around their availability.
The names of 2 Possible new members of the Guilford Economic Development Board were submitted; Brian Woodworth and Danny Hutchins. Brian has already expressed interest in our group and Bob will approach Danny to see if he might consider joining us as well.